As the train picked up its speed, the passengers slowly settled down on their seats.
火车开始缓缓加速,乘客们挨个儿在座位上坐定。
I reserved the lower berth1 , so that I could enjoy the beauty of out side from the moving train.
我预购了下铺的车票,这样一来,火车向前行驶的时候,我就能赏析窗外的风景了。
I dont know why I always preferred to get the window seat.
我也不了解自己为何一直偏爱靠窗的位子。
An elderly lady occupied the front seat of mine.
一位老太太在我前面的地方坐下。
I looked at her.
我看了看她。
She must be in her eighties, I guessed.
这大概是一位耄耋之年的老人,我猜测。
At one point, we met our eyes.
偶然的,大家四目相接。
She smiled at me. With courtesy , I gave her response.
她对我报以微笑,我也彬彬有礼的表示回礼。
Both of us were silent.
大家两个都没说话。
By that time, the train was in its full speed.
这个时候,火车正全速前进。
It was 4:50 pm, evening time.
那时的时间是下午4点50分。
So, bed time was still in a long way.
离睡觉的时间还早着呢。
I couldnt resist myself any longer and asked, Auntie! Where are you going?
我实在忍不住寂寞,就问道,阿姨,你这是到什么地方去呀?
She looked at me and friendly said, Army camp, dear.
她看看我,友好的说:我到军营里去,亲爱的。
Suddenly my enthusiasm doubled to know the reason. I politely said, Aunty, you are visiting someone?
我顿时兴致倍增,更想刨根问底了。我礼貌的问,你去拜访什么人吗?
She smiled triumphantly2 and said, Yes!
她露源于豪的微笑,说到没错。
Just to linger the conversation, I talked to her in a very jolly mood,
我还不想住嘴,一副兴高采烈的样子对她说,
Auntie, you must be feeling so excited to see your child and your grand children.
阿姨,能看到我们的孩子和孙子,你肯定非常高兴。
Perhaps, this question hurt her a little but boldly she answered,
听到我的问题,她好像有的被戳到痛处,但她还是宽容的答道,
Oh, dear! You are so sweet!
哦,亲爱的,你太好了。
Anyways, I had only one son who joined in army
不过,我只有一个儿子参军
and was killed by the terrorist attack just few days before.
就在几天前,他在一场恐怖袭击中过世了。
I bought so many new clothes with the winter garments for him.
我还给他买了这么多衣服,筹备过冬穿呢。
So, I thought why not I would spare my sons clothes to some other soldiers,
所以,我就想,为何不把给儿子的衣服送给其他的士兵呢
so that I would restraint my sorrow and would be happy thinking that my own son has worn it.
如此一来,我的悲伤可能会减轻一些,看到他们穿着这类衣服,就像我一个人的儿子穿着一样,我必然会非常高兴。
He was a bachelor, so I dont have any grand child.
他还是个单身汉,所以我还没孙子呢。
I was stunned3 hearing her heart breaking story!
她的故事简直叫人心碎,我瞠目结舌!
But I saluted4 the old lady from the core of my heart.
可是,我又从心底生出对这位老妇人的敬意。
I was thinking of her brave heart!
我想,她的心多么坚强呀!